Monday 23 January 2017

John Wick

He makes an 86.52% accuracy rating look good.

Truthfully, I didn't know what to expect when watching this as my sole reason for doing so is that John Wick happens to be the character I use in the game: Payday 2. The movie begins slowly and quietly with the stoic John Wick (portrayed by the immortal, Keanu Reeves) having a really, really bad time. Due to the actions of a well-connected but naive scum bag, Wick is given the opportunity to channel all that rage into what he does best: Killing people. And it is spectacular to watch as the body count keeps getting higher.

He can never have enough guns!

There isn't much plot to talk of here other than revenge but the action scenes and setup of the "assassin's world" lore is pretty good. I also quite like that they don't make Wick invincible and that he gets his fair share of beatings during the progression of the film. In contrast, Arnie's 1985 "Commando" comes to mind, where he walks across a lawn during a fire fight and doesn't get hit by a single bullet.

There's also little in the way of computer graphics which makes the film grittier, and more "meat and bones" if you will, which blends well with the overall tone. All up I give John Wick three and a half bullets out of five, and recommend it for those of you who are looking for a "light on thinking" violent action movie.

Would I watch it again? To answer your question, I went out and bought the DVD - and I'm definitely going to watch John Wick 2! :)

2 comments:

  1. I liked the movie too, and if you haven't already, I would suggest The Equalizer with Denzel Washington. Same basic story of a guy going on a rampage on the Russian mafia in New York, just not for the same reason. Both movies came out at almost the same time too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I don't think I've seen that yet, I'll give it a go! Thanks for the suggestion! :)

      Delete