Thursday 31 July 2014

Mirror Mirror

[And so begins my Blaugust run... might be a day earlier than everyone else due to time difference though! Even my blog is in a different time zone than I am! :P]

I got to see this recently and boy does it take tacky to a new level. There are a few good moments and yes some good laughs too but the director saw fit to push everything to the ridiculously too far, especially towards the end making it far from the best rendition of the classic Snow White tale.

It was good to see Danny Woodburn on screen again. He and the (ethnically diverse?) dwarves are pretty cool as well as Nathan Lane's Brighton, a man servant to the Queen. Julia Roberts' evil queen is... hard to take seriously. She's broke for starters so she does not particularly make a fearsome foe. The "prince" is equally facepalm worthy. At least Lily Collins as Snow White was actually pretty decent. She certainly made a better Snow White than Kirsten Stewart in "Snow White and the Huntsman", which came out at near the same time. The latter movie is still better than this mess though.

All the king's men couldn't put it together again.

The crowning moment of crapiness for me is when the script saw fit to add in a bollywood number. Yeah. All the little things that were ok with the movie were totally flushed down the toilet with that. I'll give this one 1.5 apples out of 5, but you'd better just stay away as it's probably poisoned.

Blaugust Bonus: Part of the Belghast's challenge is to share some of myself in each blog, so I guess to start off with I will answer the question of why am I doing movie reviews? Other than I like watching movies, I actually have the time to watch them at the moment because I am currently unemployed. This is both scary and liberating at the same time.

6 comments:

  1. Maleficent is the answer.

    Cheers for your first Blaugust post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, huzzah and thank you for reminding me to look for Maleficent! :D

      Delete
  2. Look at your employment as a kind of vacation, try to enjoy it instead of being scared of it. But I do understand it is scary, no money, no life. At least you can watch a lot of crap movies <3 I'm into ghosty once and supernatural horror stuff *hinthint*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's kinda what I'm doing! You might be disappointed with my movie selection though... :P

      Delete
  3. Well I probably won't be watching this movie seriously if you only give it a 1.5 haha :) a Bollywood number though? I can't get my head around it

    ReplyDelete